Adult career education
Is it necessary for your career progression?

adult career education

Is ongoing adult career related education really necessary? If you are looking to advance your career, the answer is probably yes.

Alternatively if you have decided on a complete change of career it is even more likely that you will need to supplement your existing skills with ongoing education or training.

The fact is, employers are increasingly demanding appropriate and relevant business and career education qualifications from their job candidates. And even more than this.... evidence that ongoing formal and informal learning has been an integral part of your career. terms of your career development plan and, as a part of developing your job search strategy, you'll need to do some research into what education is required to realise your career plans.

Your research questions are:

  • What, if any, adult career education is required to take the next step in my career? What education or vocational education program or course will I have to complete?
  • What, if any, alternative career education or training is available to me? Is there some special vocational education or short training course that is recognised in the field in which I want to work?
  • Where is this business and career education available? Are there for example education or training providers that are preferred within my industry or profession?
  • What options are available to me in terms of study mode? For example full time or part time attendance at a university, college or training provider, study online or other form of external study

Adult career education - do you need to do it?

If you're not interested in getting education or training qualifications to enhance your career prospects, it is possible to get a high paying job without a degree?

The answer is......yes, absolutely. For example, click on the link in the picture, and check out this website for example.

However, you will not be able to work in some professions, occupations or trades unless you have the necessary qualifications. Some obvious occupations that immediately come to mind are a doctor of medicine, a psychiatrist, psychologist, teaching, engineering etc.

The reason for this is that the profession or occupation is regulated in some way - usually as a result of laws that exist in a particular country, and/or state, and/or territory.

In some countries, professional associations, or legally sanctioned registering and licensing authorities administer the necessary processes.

Job Search Tip - Important

Education and other requirements, including certification and licensing regulations differ from country to country with respect to who can work in various professions and regulated occupations.

You need to do your homework for what's required in your country, or in the country where you'd like to work.

It is essential that you:

  • research what the certification and licensing requirements are
  • make sure that any adult career and vocational education that you intend to undertake meets the regulatory requirements

Adult career education - eligibility for professions and vocations

There are a number of widely accepted ways in which occupations and professions are classified. The classification can often give you an indication about what education or training might be required.

  • Learned profession - any of the three vocations of law, medicine and theology, where it is commonly held that you need highly advanced learning to work in these professions. Post graduate qualifications required - Doctorate level
  • Profession - a vocation that requires knowledge of some department of learning or science. At least a Bachelor's degree is required to work in these fields
  • Regulated profession or occupation - occupational regulation refers to an occupation that requires permission of either the government, or a relevant professional body to work in that occupation. You will need relevant certification or licensing to work in that occupation or profession.

Education and the regulated professions

The educational requirements for regulated professions and occupations will differ between countries, and even between states within individual countries.

The adult career education you will need could range from obtaining a degree from a university or college, through to a diploma, trade or vocational certificate obtained from a technical college or polytechnic.

If you want to work in a regulated profession in another state or country, it is quite likely you'll need to apply to have your qualifications officially recognised in that state or country.

Adult career education - occupational regulation and licensing

In the United States of America, around two thirds of occupational registration occurs at a state level. In other countries the regulating authorities often tend to operate at a national level.

This means that if you are licensed or certified in one state of the U.S.A., your ability to work in that occupation applies only to the state where you obtained your licence.

Following are links to the regulatory authorities in some countries where national regulation exists:

The U.S.A. - the individual states in the USA are responsible for occupational licensing, and certification.

As such, there is no standard national approach to this. The Federal government however has passed pieces of legislation which require the states to set up licensing and certification programs.

This link explains in more detail the somewhat complicated system that exists in the United States.

The UK and Europe - regulated professions in the United Kingdom and European Union

This link has a list of the regulated professions in the UK.

Professionals that are qualified in the UK are able to check how these qualifications compare within the EU. Similarly professionals in the EU can check on the suitability of their qualifications in the UK.

Canada - CICIC - Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials

This link will take you to a list of occupations that have some form or regulation in Canada. You can click on an occupation for get more detail about what regulation exists, education requirements etc.

Australia - recognition of occupational qualifications in the past has been done on a state by state basis, with differing standards existing between the states. However, a national system of occupational licensing is currently being developed. This is a link to an article which describes progress with this - national licensing system news

Adult career education - Occupational regulation in the U.S.A.

In the United States there are three levels of regulation:

  • Registration - basically this is a requirement to register name, address and qualifications before being able to work in that occupation. This is the least restrictive level of regulation.
  • Certification - relates to a person who is formally examined to determine that they have acquired the required skills and knowledge. Once certified as being competent a person can work in that occupation. Examples include a travel agent or mechanic.
  • Licensing - this is the most restrictive form of regulation,, and is often referred to as having the "right to practice". A person's right to practice will only apply in the State where the licensing application has been approved. In order to gain a licence, relevant education or training qualifications will be required. Many licensed occupations require ongoing adult career and vocational education as a condition of licence renewal.

Each State in the U.S.A. has its own regulatory framework. If you want to find out about registration, certification and licensing the easiest way is probably to do a Google search for your occupation.

Adult career education - finding career education providers

There will be many websites in your own country that will have information that you need to find a suitable adult career education provider.

In choosing your education provider, keep these things in mind:

  • Does the course of study that the institution is offering meet the education and/or regulatory requirements for your occupation or profession?
  • Is the institution a reputable provider of education? - some are better than others
  • What flexibility is offered in terms of your mode of study - for example, do you have to attend classes, or is online career education available? Can you study part time?
  • What fees or charges apply to complete the course or degree?

New! Comments

Has this helped you in your job search? What else would you like to see here about job search? Leave me a comment in the box below.
[?] Subscribe To This Site

follow us in feedly
Add to My Yahoo!
Add to My MSN
Subscribe with Bloglines